Monday, November 5, 2012

Vacation and a Chair Makeover

We were fortunate enough that Matthew was able to take off 5 days in a row last week. It meant Matthew was home for the hurricane- because all of his guys still had to work! and it was a nice mini vacation that we really enjoyed. It was supposed to be filled with kitchen makeover but after finding out there was another delay with the cabinets and our contractor wasn't going to be available just yet we focused on spending time together as a family. We didn't even lose power during the hurricane! We know that was not common occurance and we are sending prayers for those who were hit with the brunt of the storm.

While we didn't get much kitchen renovating done I was able to finish a project that I started 2 weeks ago. I found 2 chairs on craigslist. This was the craigslist picture.


I got the guy to come down $15 in the price ($60 to $45) which still might be a little more than I would have liked to pay for them but I really do love them. They kind of have a french style to them. They have a carved back...


and the detail on the feet...

 
and yucky upholstery and needed to be changed.


So I started painting. I started with what I had which was white milkpaint. The chairs actually started to look blue. It was really strange. So I ordered some Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint in Grainsack and went over the white with that. 

I was going to use antique grainsacks to cover the seats. I have 2 that I have been saving for the *right* project but it wasn't this project because the ones I have were not wide enough. So I had some beautiful linen that I had purchased that looks amazing on these chairs!
 


I LOVE the way these chairs turned out! I distressed the back of the chairs to highlight the carving.


And I will give you a better look at the linen I used on the seats.


I will admit this was the first time I had recovered a chair and I had some struggles. I think it had a lot to do with the fabric I was using and the fact that our staple gun is somewhat temperamental but I think they turned out great!

If you are wondering where these beauties are living in our house- well they are in the living room. If you have been in our house and are wondering where in heaven's name would you put them in there?!  We had to do some rearranging. Our loveseat was practically shoved up against the radiator.  We knew we couldn't leave it there but I still wanted seating over there and these were the perfect solution. Not to mention it makes that side of the room look so much lighter and less cluttered.  I will show you pictures when I can get the whole living room. We started moving stuff around to prepare for kitchen demo and there is just stuff everywhere.

I have to tell you- even the hubby likes the way these turned out!  How about a quick before and after?



They just want to make me do a happy dance! My adorable assistant helped me with this project (as she does for so many projects) but she wanted to get in on the photo shoot this time as well.



Most adorable assistant ever.

~R

No comments:

Post a Comment