Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rainy Fall Days and Candy Corn Sugar Cookies

I will take a rainy fall day over a 100 degree scorcher every time. While the kids aren't appreciating the rain I took the time inside to try a new recipe. It's fall related so I thought it would make a great post!



Cute right? I found it on Pinterest (who's surprised?) and I haven't had the time to make it until this week. This is the original recipe and I haven't changed anything but I do have a few words of wisdom advice after actually making them.

I tried to double the recipe because I wanted to be able to share the cookies. I have a 6qt Kitchen Aid mixer and it could barely handle mixing double the recipe. If you want to make a lot- and honestly one batch probably made about 7 dozen SMALL cookies- but if you need more than that make the dough separately. If I was going to make them again I would probably triple the recipe- each made separately and do one batch in each color and then separate it to make the candy corn layers.

Be prepared for orange hands or wear gloves. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if I could have mixed the food coloring in the mixer (totally why I would do separate batches of colors) but my hands were orange for most of the day. 

It will take a while to figure out your cuts. Kathie has a great picture on her blog on how to cut them but it took me until the second batch to really get a more consistent shape.

I think that is all of my helpful hints for today. They really are a yummy lemon sugar cookie and so fun for fall!

Here is the recipe- which you can find on the Kathie Cooks Blog.

Candy Corn Sugar Cookies

2 Sticks Butter, softened
1 c. Sugar
1 Egg
2 T. Lemon Juice
2 t. Lemon Zest
1/8 t. Salt
3 c. Flour
1/2 t. Baking Soda
Red Food Dye
Yellow Food Dye
1/2 c. Granulated Sugar (for dusting)




Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy. Add egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt. Continue beating until well mixed. Add flour and baking soda, beat until well mixed. Divide dough into thirds. Press one-third of the white dough evenly into the bottom of a loaf pan that you have lined with foil, wax, or parchment paper. Place another one-third of the dough into a bowl and add yellow and red food dye to make orange (refer to the chart on the back of your box). Once it is mixed evenly, press orange dough evenly over white dough. In another bowl, add the final amount of dough and dye yellow. Press that evenly over the orange dough. Cover and refrigerate until firm (2 hours or overnight is best). Once chilled, invert your loaf pan and unwrap your dough. Flip it back over and place it on a cutting board. Cut loaf crosswise into 1/4-inch slices using a sharp knife, trimming edges to make even, if necessary. Cut each slice into 6 wedges.

Place 1-inch apart onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes in a pre-heated 375 degree oven. Place cookies straight into a bowl with sugar and coat. Place coated cookies on a baking rack to cool.



Here is a cute picture from Kathie's blog since I couldn't get my lighting to cooperate yesterday!



~R

No comments:

Post a Comment