Friday, May 3, 2013

In Search of the Perfect Desk

Happy Friday! I am not sure how it is May already! Time has just been flying by this year. I have been working on my "Company is Coming" list. I refinished a leaf for the dining room table and I have been searching for the perfect desk for out living room.

The original plan is that we were going to build the desk. Nothing too fancy but I have totally been crushing on this pictured since I showed it to you a few months ago.


(I would love to find the original source for this picture but I have had no luck.)

 I have several pictures pinned on Pinterest with similar tables to this. We even found plans so we could build one of our own. The poor hubs has been working a TON of overtime and there are just too many other more pressing projects that we decided to buy a desk instead. This was not an easy undertaking. I knew I wanted it to be wood and in fairly good shape because I didn't want to paint it. I wanted to have the original finish since most of the furniture on that end of the living room is painted and I wanted it to have some contrast. I also was setting our budget at $100. Even that was a little more than what I wanted to spend but I didn't want to bring home a piece of junk either. My other must-have was that it had to have pretty legs. I am a sucker for some nice turned legs on a piece of furniture!

I started scouring Craigslist and came up empty handed. I even searched ebay in hopes that I could find something local. I did find this...


Which fit all my requirements and it made my heart pound. But it was seven and a half hours away. Which would have made it's $75 price tag a lot more than that to go and get it. I have always wanted a barley twist table but I had to let this one go. No one bought it- which makes me sad! I headed back to Craigslist and found this...


Which fit all the requirements except for the fact that it cost $235. Ouch. I was ready to give up. Which is when I (finally!) found it!


 It was listed on Craigslist for $95. The top was in sad shape along with the inside of the drawer so I got it for $80.  I didn't want to have to put a lot of work into it- there are just too many projects going on right now. But the top definitely needed some love.


It took a little bit more elbow grease than I had thought it would. I had to go down to a 40 grit sandpaper just to smooth out the top. After one coat of stain though it matched the rest of the desk.

I put three coats of the acrylacq on the top and I was ready to go other than changing out the pull.



I have to say this is the first time I have ever seen a pull attached from the outside with a screw. It was so very not attractive and had absolutely no intention of being removed.  We tried 3 different screw drivers and once the top started to strip my sweet but exhausted hubby took it to the basement to  try and get it out. Which he did. Shhh- there was some minor damage to the drawer. I can fix it so I am not worried and without his help that screw was not going anywhere!


I have to show you the pretty little pull I picked out!






I got this one at Hobby Lobby. We don't have one that is close enough to just drop in and look at things but they were having a special with two dollar shipping . I can't wait to actually put it on the desk!

My goal was to at least have the desk finished to show you today. The difficulty with the drawer pull made that not possible but next week I should be able to show you it all finished and in it's new home- which will also give you a look at how the living room looks all painted!

Yay for progress!! I also looked at some paint samples for the kitchen. I will let you know if I actually pick something. Now that the weather is nice I need to set up somewhere outside so I can paint the cabinet doors. We will get there eventually. I am feeling the need to purge things we aren't using so in between projects I am piling things up for a yard sale and donating. Anyone else cleaning out or getting organized??


~R

No comments:

Post a Comment