Monday, January 21, 2013

Hiccups

What good is a plan without a few hiccups right? It's annoying character building! After I showed you my project line-up I decided to start on the coffee table because it would be good practice for our dining table- same type of wood, similar shape - you get the idea.


The plan was to sand and stain the top and paint the bottom. Same as the dining table and giving some continuity between the rooms since they are fairly open to each other. The top of the coffee table needed some help.




But the top was easy- but I am going to draw out the suspense and not show you the finished version because of this.


I like a little distressing on my furniture but I couldn't get the lid off my bonding agent when I mixed my milk paint so I figured I would just take my chances. Bad idea.  More paint chipped off than stayed on. I knew I was in trouble when my milk paint started to like like this as it was drying.


So I have to get the lid off my bonding agent give the table another good sand and try again. THEN I will have after pictures for you.

Our "new" dining table has been sitting in the middle of our foyer since Christmas. It's been too cold to do too much but since it actually hit 50 degrees yesterday I decided to take my chances and try and get the top sanded and stained. I used 80 grit and took a layer off the table- seriously I was COVERED in saw dust.


You can see from this picture it didn't look like it needed much but I wanted to make sure the stain took evenly hence the 80 grit.


I thought I was doing really well until I stained it.


There are big patches where it doesn't even look like I sanded at all. Sigh. Bang head against wall. Game plan? I guess I am going to have to sand another layer off? I don't think I really have a choice. So yeah while I have been working hard I don't have much to show you right now. I know it will be worth it in the end so I will keep persevering!! I don't like hiccups when I get them or in my plans so hopefully this is it for these projects!

~R

No comments:

Post a Comment