Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Keeping The Progress Moving

So I was able to finish the dresser for the guest room. The one I talked about before?

Only problem is that I forgot to take pictures of it before it went into the current "blackout" room and so I guess we will have to wait for the after pictures until we can get some natural light in there. Finishing that dresser kicked a different piece of furniture out of that room. I was so excited to show you the before and after because, believe me, they are pretty dramatic. But the before pictures seem to have gone missing. Grrr. I found it on Craigslist before we moved for $15. It sat in the garage for a few months until we moved. I guess you will have imagine it with peeling varnish, cracked wood and stickers and thumbtack holes all over it. Now I am proud to say that it looks like this.


It's new home is in the foyer replacing the drysink from my grandparents house that had been there. Here is another view.


I wanted to try the 2 tone finish and the top went much easier than the painting. It also made it take a little longer because you have to stain and coat the top before you paint which means waiting for everything to dry between coats. I can't stress enough how important it is to read labels for drying times! I also thought I would try my hand at distressing the painted portion. I mean let's be honest my kids are going to beat on anything we own. I might as well beat them to the punch and that way it won't matter when it happens by accident! Overall I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I was also able to give the dry sink a  new home in the dining room.


It is going to be my plant table which will ensure they get some sun and don't get dried out from sitting on top of the radiator. It is the perfect height to fit in the window. I was pretty excited and Matthew even thought it looked nice!

Now that all the furniture painting and refinishing is complete, I can get out the sewing machine. I didn't want to be getting it it out and putting it away a whole bunch. Now I can get it out and leave it out because I have a whole lot of sewing projects waiting in the wings. The chairs still need to be slip covered, I have curtains to make for the kitchen, pillow covers to make for the living and some other secret projects I will post about later. Never a dull moment, hmm?

Hopefully we'll talk soon!!
~Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment